Storytelling in Trendy Travel
Within the Trendy Travel project, 3 Short Story Competitions were held in 2009:
- City of Cork: “The Joy of Cycling”, April - May 2009
- FGM-AMOR: Literature Award Austria: “ Soft mobility: as path into the future” January - May 2009
- NS: “Time for Reading”, April - June 2009
The results were 16 entries for Cork in Ireland, around 340 stories received by FGM-AMOR in Austria and 158 travel stories received by the NS in the Netherlands. With a total of 514 stories this part of Trendy Travel has been concluded very successfully!
Storytelling competition NS
Details of the Storytelling competition of the Dutch National Railways (NS): “Time for Reading”
April - June 2009
1. Target group - Open to everyone
2. Length - max. 1000 words. Autobiographic, true stories.
3. Communication / publicity - dedicated website www.tiijdvoorlezen.nl and announcement in an electronic newsletter to 750.000 customers
4. Selection / Jury - a top-10 and a winner selected by the public through votes on website and jury made up of professional writers
5. Prizes - the 2 winners win a weekend to Berlin. Publication on website NS and in free newspaper.
6. Results - 158 travel stories received
7. Lessons learned - Show your vulnerability, Good quality and quantity of the stories, Prize fits the product and story, Positive Word Of Mouth, Online works!
NS congratulates the following contestants with their winning stories. They win a weekend to Berlin.
Professional jury: W.D. Leon with the story called 'Het bagagerek'
Public jury: B. Aansorgh with the story called ´Als het regent huil je niet´
The winning stories will be translated into English
Link to the NS website (Dutch)
Storytelling competition FGM-AMOR
Details of the Literature Award Austria: “ Soft mobility: as path into the future” January - May
1. Target group - professional writers in Austria, Germany and Switzerland
2. Length - max. 5 pages., previously unpublished text. Fiction or true stories with emotional content with regard to soft mobility.
3. Communication / publicity - dedicated website www.trendy-travel.eu and announcement in literature houses, literature magazines
4. Selection / Jury - a top-10 and first and second place determined by jury made up of professional writers
5. Prizes - the 2 winners win 1000 Euro and 400 Euro. Publication on website and in book distributed by the public transport operator in Graz with an editition of 12.000.
6. Results - over 340 travel stories were received
7. Lessons learned - Many stories were received that didn’t fit the topic. Quality of many stories not as high as expected from profession writers.
The 4 winning stories from The Netherlands and Austria, as well as a story by Andreas Altmann, a famous Austrian writer, were translated into English and are available here: